Summer is a great time to start becoming more active. There are so many reasons why it is important for people to be active. Working out can help you lose weight and look more toned, but more importantly, it helps your body stay healthy on the inside. If you do not stay active you're putting your body at risk for diabetes, obesity, heart disease, stroke, cancer and many more potential problems.
I like to come up with excuses as to why I cannot work out. These include: "I'm tired.", "I'm too busy.", and "I don't have a gym membership." Instead, I should start coming up with reasons why I should work out. For me that would be: staying healthy for my kids and grandchildren in the future, it puts me in a better mood, and it makes my bones and muscles stronger. I suggest writing your reasons down so you can see them daily.
If you are struggling to stay active, try these ideas:
- Do yard work like gardening and mowing
- Work out at home to a video, or maybe our fitness specialist has given you ideas
- Go for a walk around your neighborhood, or find a walking trail near you.
- Walk during part of your lunch breaks
- Suggest to coworkers that you go for a walk during a meeting instead of sitting in a conference room.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Park further away from building entrances