Summer Skin Care 101 Top 10 Sunscreens for Working Out
Top 10 Sunscreens for Working Out
Outdoor workouts can be rejuvenating, motivating, and a nice change of pace from your run of the (tread)mill indoor workouts. Summer is a great time to get outside for exercise, but there are a few precautions to heed when taking your workout routine, outdoors. They include being aware of uneven surfaces to prevent injuries, avoiding heat-related illness and dehydration, and of course, protecting your skin from excess sun exposure.
As you may know, a moderate amount of sun exposure promotes Vitamin D production in the body, but too much can cause visible signs of aging, sunburn, blistering, and skin cancer. No fun! I have taken a look at reviews from multiple fitness sources and come up with a list of what I think are the 10 best sunscreens available on the market, right now. Here they are in no particular order:
- Peak Sunscreen SPF 30: natural, good for sensitive skin and the environment, gluten and paraben-free, water resistant up to 80 minutes, UVA/UVB broad spectrum protection, stays on top of skin instead of soaking in
- Coola Sport Face SPF 50 and/or Coola Organic SPF 30 Scalp & Hair Mist: lightweight non-greasy, good for sensitive skin, water resistant up to 80 minutes, UVA/UVB broad spectrum protection, scalp protection
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer or CoolDry Sport SPF 45-100: lightweight, does not block pores, water resistant, UVA/UVB broad spectrum protection
- Kiehl’s Super Fluid UV Mineral Defense SPF 50+: lightweight, good for sensitive and acne-prone skin, sweat resistant but not water resistant, UVA/UVB broad spectrum protection, fairly expensive
- Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40: lightweight, clear, scentless, UVA/UVB broad spectrum protection
- KINeSYS Performance Spray SPF 30: no oil, alcohol, or parabens, no fragrance, good for sensitive skin, water and sweat resistant 80 minutes, UVA/UVB broad spectrum protection
- Sun Bum Original or Face Stick SPF 30+: hypoallergenic, gluten and paraben-free, phthalate-free, oil-free, water resistant 80 minutes, UVA/UVB broad spectrum protection
- Fresh Sugar Sport Treatment SPF 30: hydrating avocado oil formula for lips and face, refreshing scent, water-resistant
- Coppertone Sport High Performance or Clearly Sheer Faces SPF 30: lightweight, does not clog pores, water resistant 80 minutes, UVA/UVB broad spectrum protection
- L’Oreal Invisible Protect Clear Cool Lotion SPF 30: non-sticky/greasy, clear, cooling effect, water resistant 80 minutes, UVA/UVB broad spectrum protection
In terms of choosing between these, it’s all about preference and budget, and the biggest mistake you can make is to NOT use sunscreen. So lather up and get out there!
- Shara Swager, BS, CSCS, IC, Fitness Specialist, Health As We Age, Inc.
Sources: https://www.shape.com/lifestyle/beauty-style/sunscreens-working-out-dont-suck-or-streak-or-leave-you-greasy ; https://www.runnersworld.com/training/g19576604/best-sunscreen-for-runners/ ; https://runnerclick.com/best-sunscreen-runners-reviewed-tested/